For those expecting another traditional update post, I don't have much to add besides what I brought up on Twitter over the past few days, and right now I'm still trying to find my footing in productivity again, if not in game development at this time (that'll get its own blog entry later) then certainly in the field of doing normal art. The last art I did of an Aozora's Adventure cast member was in September 2019, and since then there's only been a modern take on Super Justin earlier this year which I slacked on pretty hard since starting on it in February, in part since while it was a neat return to form, making two poses of the same character at the same time in addition to one that I initially abandoned outside of one community for being rather underdeveloped, both in looks and background, was exhausting to say the least. So I'm going to go back to Aozora for the time being to provide some new character renders to characters I haven't drawn since 2014, including one new face not in my style yet.
Anyways onto today's subject. For those of you that have seen a blog post of mine from back in March, I've long stopped contributing routinely to The Spriters' Resource website but didn't exactly rule out the site entirely and could potentially have come back with a surprise rip or two every now and then. And after some convincing from a bud of mine as well as some groups I'm a part of, I've decided to redo some of my oldest sheets that I've posted to the site and re-rip the entirety of Nintendo's original Super Mario Bros. and its two offshoots: The Lost Levels, and All Night Nippon. (why do those sound like episode names for a retro FPS?)
For reference, her are the original sheets:
The goal of this project is to take the original sheets I've ripped in the past, re-rip every sprite across all three versions of SMB1, and re-assemble them into new sheets, including the player characters, enemies, tilesets, objects, backgrounds, and text/text screens (title screen, game over, and the endings). Upgrades from the existing sheets would include:
- Colored backgrounds due to certain art programs not playing nice with transparency *cough *MSPaint*cough* alongside spaced-out sprites and the addition of bounding boxes to better show the exact size of each sprite/tile and make them easier to extract from the sheet.
- Different sheets for each version of SMB1, only including sprites and tiles used in that version. The only exception would be the large mushroom platforms- since they got removed and replaced with clouds in Lost Levels but received Lost Levels-styled updates in All Night Nippon, they'd be included in the Lost Levels tileset sheet for consistency with the other two variants of the tileset sheet.
- Detailed notes explaining certain functions in-depth that aren't able to be elaborated on visually, or explaining mechanics of the game and hardware. When appropriate, key differences between versions are also mentioned, such as cloud platform tiles in place of mushroom platform tiles in The Lost Levels.
- A full set of visual palettes for every sprite/tile.
- For the first time in a SMB1 sheet, two different emulator palettes: Nestopia and the visually similar Mesen for being the one Nintendo classifies as the official palette based on its use in the NES Mini and the NES Online service, and FCEUX for being a general fan favorite palette in the community.